[Coco] [OT]T/S 1K [Was:] More ebay madness

Joel Ewy jcewy at swbell.net
Mon Jan 26 16:42:45 EST 2009

Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Sunday 25 January 2009, Ed Orbea wrote:
>
>> If you thought that some of the CoCo prices are laughable, take a look
>> at this:
>>
> Tee tee. $5k?  Boggle...  Having once owned one of those, and finding its
> keyboard was a 30 minute wonder, I put a TI99/4a surplus keyboard on it by
> putting the whole thing in a bigger box, along with the 16k rampack, and gave
> it to my kids.
I still have a T/S 1K that has an aftermarket "real" keyboard and case,
along with a box of tapes.  About twice a decade I hook it up and
remember all that is so great about the CoCo.
> They had a blast with it, but sadly all turned out to be
> windows users to this day.  Something in the water maybe?  Dunno, but it
> makes me sad.

Well, maybe you should have given them a CoCo!  :)
> As for bidding on it, I *might* start at 50 cents.  But then I'd recall it has
> a z80 brain & withdraw the bid.  Having written about 30k of code for its z80
> cpu without an assembler to hide the architectures brokenness, the best I can
> say about the z80, and zilogs support of it, is that both were at the time,
> badly dain bramaged.

I've always thought that M'Soft's one true great contribution to
computing was ROM BASICs for the old 8-bitters.  And with a CPU like the
8080/Z80 a BASIC interpreter is a welcome thing...

JCE