[Coco] [OT]T/S 1K / ZX81 [Was:] More ebay madness

Phill Harvey-Smith afra at aurigae.demon.co.uk
Mon Jan 26 19:25:38 EST 2009

Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Monday 26 January 2009, Joel Ewy wrote:
>> Gene Heskett wrote:
>>> Tee tee. $5k?  Boggle...  Having once owned one of those, and finding its
>>> keyboard was a 30 minute wonder, I put a TI99/4a surplus keyboard on it by
>>> putting the whole thing in a bigger box, along with the 16k rampack, and
>>> gave it to my kids.
>> I still have a T/S 1K that has an aftermarket "real" keyboard and case,
>> along with a box of tapes.  About twice a decade I hook it up and
>> remember all that is so great about the CoCo.

Whilst I mostly agree, I do have a couple of the UK Sinclair ZX81s which
are the same machine, which Timex produced under license. It should also
be rememberd that the goal of the ZX81, and Sinclair's other machines
was to produce a computer as cheaply as possible, to make them available
to the masses.

For example the ZX80, the predesssor of the ZX81/TS1000, basically the
same machine, but implemented soly with LS, whereas the ZX81 has a ULA
to replace the LS, was the first computer available in the UK for under
£100.

So it was aiming for the lower end of the market which it was very
successful at, I believe more than 1,000,000 ZX81s where sold in the UK,
and they where cirtainly cheaper than the CoCo (or even the Dragon) at
the time near the end of it's availability you could pick up a ZX81+16K
RAM pack for £45, and for a lot of people in the UK (me included) this
was their introduction to computing, and yes I do still have it :)

A fairer comparison would probably be with the MC-10, though even that
was priced a little too high for the UK market but in terms of
specifications was probably closer to the ZX81, than the CoCo.

Still $5000 is a little on the steap side, My Wife bought me a couple of
the ZX81 kits, a couple of years back, which including shipping from the
US, only came to just over £100, mind the exchange rate was better back
then :)

Cheers.

Phill.