[Coco] B&B XTROM

Chester Patterson vchester at setec-cr.com
Wed Jan 14 10:49:30 EST 2009

B&B rigs (of which I configured and sold several during my stint at Howard
Medical) do not require a PROM installed in the controller (we used the
DTC-5150 controller, several others were possible) The drive parameters
(cylinders, tracks, etc) are set by the jumpers on the controller. The only
PROM sold for the B&B rig was optional, it was the AutoBoot PROM. If
purchased, it was installed instead of the BIOS PROM supplied standard with
the controller. It first does a RAM test thereby allowing the hard disk to
come up to speed. Then it checks track 128 for the OS9 bootstrap module
(modified to access the hard disk) and boots OS9 from the hard disk. If you
hold down the ALT key during the RAM test then the PROM looks instead for
the bootstrap module on track 129. This allows you to have two separate
OS9Boot on a single drive. I used this feature to boot into either OS9
command line prompt or OS9 Multivue.
To use the HD from RS-DOS, B&B suggested the HYPER I/O DOS package. I never
used this package.
I believe the nearly complete docs are available on-line somewhere. Or I can
send a zip file to whomsoever needs it. I have a very complete set of docs.

/Chester
Costa Rica