[Coco] B&B XTROM

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Wed Jan 14 13:32:35 EST 2009

On Wednesday 14 January 2009, Chester Patterson wrote:
>B&B rigs (of which I configured and sold several during my stint at Howard
>Medical) do not require a PROM installed in the controller (we used the
>DTC-5150 controller, several others were possible) The drive parameters
>(cylinders, tracks, etc) are set by the jumpers on the controller. The only
>PROM sold for the B&B rig was optional, it was the AutoBoot PROM. If
>purchased, it was installed instead of the BIOS PROM supplied standard with
>the controller. It first does a RAM test thereby allowing the hard disk to
>come up to speed. Then it checks track 128 for the OS9 bootstrap module
>(modified to access the hard disk) and boots OS9 from the hard disk. If you
>hold down the ALT key during the RAM test then the PROM looks instead for
>the bootstrap module on track 129. This allows you to have two separate
>OS9Boot on a single drive. I used this feature to boot into either OS9
>command line prompt or OS9 Multivue.
>To use the HD from RS-DOS, B&B suggested the HYPER I/O DOS package. I never
>used this package.
>I believe the nearly complete docs are available on-line somewhere. Or I can
>send a zip file to whomsoever needs it. I have a very complete set of docs.

Humm, between these two messages I might be able to cobble up a 2nd coco3 hard
drive system again.  I have one of the later B&B's in the gold pack, (& a
couple of old, squeaky 10 meg tandon drives,) which unlike the original black
one, was never a problem child when I booted from a floppy.  If its not too
much trouble, send it along to me also Chester, at gene.heskett at gmail.com

Thanks.