[Coco] CoCoNet status

Roger Taylor operator at coco3.com
Tue Feb 10 11:01:13 EST 2009

At 09:02 AM 2/10/2009, you wrote:
>I would tend to agree - I even appreciate the older definition of "hacker"
>:)
>
>I applaud the implementation of 'self-updating' - just curious, are you
>doing this by running the 'update' code from the PC "server", loading into
>Coco RAM space (and then running it) or onto some battery backed RAM on your
>cart?
>
>Ewww, 'virtual memory' - how about 'virtual devices'?  A prime example would
>be the redirection of the bit-banger for printer routines?  This could be
>problematic for apps outside of Disk BASIC's LPRINT, LLIST (unless Roger's
>cart traps/re-directs all Coco bit-banger I/O and have its' own on the
>cart?!?!); but, the PC "server" could translate DMP-105 and/or Epson
>EX/LX/MX escape sequences.  This might be useful even if it only handled
>straight text.

I'm adding the " PRINT #-2 " support now.  In other words, the -2
device.  This initially will work with just text.  Translators would
have to be written in the server for anything fancy to be done.

As for virtual memory, it's all in how you view the term.  A virtual
disk file is virtual memory because it's stored on the PC while the
CoCo thinks it's magnetic media.  Actually, the CoCo doesn't even
think that.  ;)

The auto-update feature or "live ROM" as I called it is all software.

--
Roger Taylor

http://www.wordofthedayonline.com