[Coco] [Color Computer] Difference between Extended color BASIC and Level II BASIC?

Jan Vanden Bossche jan80 at scarlet.be
Wed Dec 30 20:32:26 EST 2009

Hi,

BASIC Level II for the TRS-80 model I is an older version of BASIC. I'd say
they are 90% compatible.

Differences lie within the screenlayouts of the different computers, and the
implementation of that in the native BASIC. The TRS-80 had a 64x16
textscreen, the Coco 40x.. (can't remember). The TRS-80 had crude graphics,
b/w 128x48 blocks (can't call them points or pixels) It had a set of
graphics characters, equivalent to the adressable blocks. Graphics are much
better for the Coco, and even better for Extended Color BASIC.

As far as text-BASIC is concerned, considering the difference in
screen-layout, compatibility is probably much higher. I think plain text
programs in BASIC hardly need adapting from TRS-80 to Coco.

Greetings from the TyRannoSaurus
Jan-80