[Coco] [Color Computer] Difference between Extended color BASIC and Level II BASIC?

shadow at shadowgard.com shadow at shadowgard.com
Thu Dec 31 03:32:51 EST 2009

On 31 Dec 2009 at 2:32, Jan Vanden Bossche wrote:

> BASIC Level II for the TRS-80 model I is an older version of BASIC. I'd say
> they are 90% compatible.
>
> Differences lie within the screenlayouts of the different computers, and the
> implementation of that in the native BASIC. The TRS-80 had a 64x16
> textscreen, the Coco 40x.. (can't remember).

CoCo was 32x16.

> The TRS-80 had crude graphics,
> b/w 128x48 blocks (can't call them points or pixels) It had a set of
> graphics characters, equivalent to the adressable blocks. Graphics are much
> better for the Coco, and even better for Extended Color BASIC.

And the Radio Shack hi-res boards for the Model II & III did 640x240.
So did the one for the Model 4. Then there were the third party units
like the Electric Crayon I have in storage.

> As far as text-BASIC is concerned, considering the difference in
> screen-layout, compatibility is probably much higher. I think plain text
> programs in BASIC hardly need adapting from TRS-80 to Coco.

Actually screen layout is one of the hairuer problems in moving stuff
between systems. Even in text mode the commands like Print @ are
different. And Print Using gets even weirder.

--
Leonard Erickson (aka shadow)
shadow at shadowgard dot com