[Coco] Single board Pentium computer... "CoCo4" or Drivewire server material?

Steve Bjork 6809er at bjork-huffman.net
Thu Dec 17 12:09:22 EST 2009

Frank,

Zotac make a great line of motherboards, like the small and low power
ION-ITX based single board computer.  It's based on the Atom CPU (Intel
Pentium based) with a NVIDIA's graphic chipset so you can do full screen
video.  Very powerful system and that can run Windows and Linux but yet
ITX small size board.

Try this link for a complete (With Wi-Fi) ION board:
http://www.zotac.com/index.php?option=com_wrapper&view=wrapper&Itemid=100002&lang=en

Note: this was the board that I was looking at for the CoCo 4 project.
It's small and can fit inside a CoCo 3 case.

If you are looking for a complete solution (One that you don't have to
build) than try one of there Mini-PC that based on the ION system.
These computers are about the size of external hard drive.  Just hook up
a keyboard, mouse, network and monitor and you are ready to go.

Here is the link:
http://www.zotac.com/index.php?option=com_wrapper&view=wrapper&Itemid=100033&lang=en

While it's true the price is not just $10 for the computer, they are
about the lowest price new computers with a small form factor.

Something else to think about is the cost of power for running a
computer all the time. (Well, that is what you do with a server.)  The
old and cheap computers that you are looking at will cost you more than
a new ION based computer in just a year or two because of how much power
the old computers waste.  I replaced my old server that was costing me
$25 per month in power with a new one that now used about $5 of power.
The new server will pay for its self in just 3 years.  And that's a full
server with 4 TB (2 TB mirrored system) and auto-backup to the internet
via S-3.

Steve