[Coco] Single board Pentium computer... "CoCo4" or Drivewire server material?

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Sat Dec 12 22:18:48 EST 2009

Frank

With the memory on board the Beagle board could run Windows CE. Still a port of Linux is
already there. What is interesting is Samsung has a versionof the Cortex A8 that runs at 1
GHz and the ARM consortium is close if not already have out a dual core Cortex call the A9
that will run at speeds up to 2GHz.

The Cortex series of chips are nice for small embedded systems. Apple in their I-Phone is
using the A5 and Motorola's new Droid is using the A8. There is some rumors that Apple may
start using the Samsung verstion of the ARM Cortex SoC.

What makes it a dual yeah/boo is that all the processor and graphics and memory controller
is all in one chip.

It hard to pick from what is out there. The technology advances just fast enough that if you
play the waiting game, you will never proceed with what you intend to build.

The mini ITX boards do offer an advantage in that they will runWIndows XP and most likely
Vista. That is a decent plus. Still look at the cost of OS plus the board and the Beagle Boards
does not look so bad after all. XP is still going to set you back about $75. Vista even more.
Linux is very very low cost and MESS is not all that bad though I do prefer VCC. Now a port
of VCC to Linux would be extremely nice.

james