[Coco] Mr Bjork please don't leave the communiity on theaccount of one disgruntled member!

Roger Taylor operator at coco3.com
Sat Aug 29 19:10:52 EDT 2009

At 05:17 AM 8/29/2009, you wrote:
>I could see where Steve was coming from.  On the one hand, why post to a
>site that seems to "have it in" for him.  A lot of time and effort can go
>into properly responding to a question, and then to see that effort "wasted"
>when the post evaporates can be very upsetting.  Not that I think Roger has
>anything to do with it beyond having too much on his plate and not being
>sufficiently god-like in his troubleshooting ability to figure out why some
>posts just won't show up.
>
>Steves initial point was valid.  Until the site was "fixed", why post on it?

This is old news, but I must say that all forums are hackable
eventually, and there is no "fixed".  No matter what CMS or forum
system I research, I see hundreds of google'ed complaints about how a
user can fix the spam problem, etc.  We live in a cruel world.  It'll
be a cat and dog fight until the day we die.

>Then the other guy, who had like 38 posts total, got into a snit over it.
>Its like a guy with 7 twitter posts getting into a chest thumping argument
>with a novelist.  They are not in the same league.
>
>Did Steve over-react?, probably.  But I don't know what is going on in his
>life right now.  Hopefully time will allow everyone a chance to get some
>perspective.

The good part is that I have seen Steve's and other user's (who were
hacked) posts in the database, although not linked to their message
IDs.  It's a relational database.  I'd have to find a well-known
trustee among us or elsewhere to volunteer to repair the forum
database, linking all "missing" posts back to their
headers/topics.  I'm not sure I can do it.

This leads to another question: can the old (very populated) Invision
Power Board forums of coco3.com be restored and merged into the
current forum somehow, even if read-only or channeled to another subforum.

An Invision Power Board + phpBB2 + MySQL + PHP expert would have to
do these jobs.

I long for the day we have XML-based forum content, or some other
generic format that can be interchanged more easily.  A LOT is lost
when hacks like this happen with there being no speedy recovery.

I'm building an unrelated site right now which uses Joomla and if it
survives some time without being spammed or hacked, I'll trust it to
be a good candidate for the new coco3.com framework.

--
Roger Taylor

http://www.americafedup.com