[Coco] PCs pretending to be drive boxes wasRe: Drivewire question

Willard Goosey goosey at virgo.sdc.org
Mon Apr 20 15:26:38 EDT 2009

On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 09:00:07AM -0400, John W. Linville wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 02:37:46AM -0600, Willard Goosey wrote:
> > Many retro systems have drivewire-like things.
> >
> > Four off the top of my head:  FLEX, Coleco ADAM, C64, and HP 9845.
>
> The Atari 8-bit as well.  Though in the case of the Atari and the C64
> I think there is some hardware involved so that the server/hardware
> combination pretends to be one of their "intelligent" floppy disks.

For the C64, it depends on the PC, since it gets bit-banged out the
parallel port.  If you have a fancy modern port and a multitasking OS,
the cable does need a chip or two.  For a funky old AT-class 486, it's
just straight wiring.

For the HP machines, the "server" has to have an IEEE-488 card.  Which
isn't exactly standard issue. ;-)

I know nothing about Atari 8-bits.

Willard Goosey  goosey at sdc.org
Socorro, New Mexico, USA