[Coco] PCs pretending to be drive boxes wasRe: Drivewire question

Derek dml_68 at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 20 23:19:08 EDT 2009

I have both C64 and Atari 8 Bit set ups to use my PC as a disk server like drivewire. On the Commodore there is a C64 to Centronics interface that lets you select via jumpers if you have an older or higher speed printer port on the PC end. The problem is in the software to use these cables, so far I have had many problems with getting the c64 to synch up with the PC. The interface and cable cost me about $25

For the Atari 8 Bit there are 2 options SIO (Thats Atari's disk, I/O Interface). SIO to Serial and SIO to USB. I have the serial version and a software package for it called APE. It also allows you to use the Atari R: and P: handlers so you can telnet out from your Atari and Terminal Program via your PC and also use the PC Printer. This is a GREAT set-up as the software emulates multiple drives and uses both disk, tape and raw program images. This is what I am hoping coconet will be like. Total cost for this was $50

Willard Goosey <goosey at virgo.sdc.org> wrote: On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 09:00:07AM -0400, John W. Linville wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 02:37:46AM -0600, Willard Goosey wrote:
> > Many retro systems have drivewire-like things.
> >
> > Four off the top of my head:  FLEX, Coleco ADAM, C64, and HP 9845.
>
> The Atari 8-bit as well.  Though in the case of the Atari and the C64
> I think there is some hardware involved so that the server/hardware
> combination pretends to be one of their "intelligent" floppy disks.

For the C64, it depends on the PC, since it gets bit-banged out the
parallel port.  If you have a fancy modern port and a multitasking OS,
the cable does need a chip or two.  For a funky old AT-class 486, it's
just straight wiring.

For the HP machines, the "server" has to have an IEEE-488 card.  Which
isn't exactly standard issue. ;-)

I know nothing about Atari 8-bits.

Willard Goosey  goosey at sdc.org
Socorro, New Mexico, USA