[Coco] DriveWire - Frank, Joel - OT

Jim Hickle jlhickle at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 14 12:08:11 EDT 2009

--- On Tue, 4/14/09, Andrew <keeper63 at cox.net> wrote:

> You wouldn't happen to have those proto-SLS disks handy,
> would you? Somewhere (if I still have it) I have a 386DX40
> mobo that is itching to be fired up again, though I don't
> know if I have enough memory for *nix (last I remember I
> only had 8 meg in it), I was think either some old-school
> *nix or OpenDOS. It would be hilarious to see it run *nix,
> tho.

I used to run Slackware on a 386DX40.  I'd been using a 100mhz
486, but needed it to run something important at home. (I think
it was Tonka Garage).  Slackware ran just fine on the '386, but
my app was a real snail.  It took a lot of profiling and compiling
to make it usable.  By the time speed was acceptable I had
enough money to buy a Pentium 133.