[Coco] CoCo Video Player Project

Nick Marentes nickma at optusnet.com.au
Sat Apr 4 16:39:18 EDT 2009

 > Many video players limit their supported formats, some to quite unique
 > ones. I don't see why a CoCo video player couldn't restrict itself
 > to a format prepared specifically for the CoCo.

It's not "couldn't restrict", it will "have to" restrict...just as the
Timex Sinclair demo.

 > Those phones can also play video games beyond the capabilities of a
 > CoCo -- so what???

Slightly different here. The CoCo always could play games, and many
quite good and playable ones. Games have merely evolved from there
getting better with the improvements in technology.

Playing watchable video was something that was not possible on the CoCo
due to technical restrictions. Phones have the benefit of advanced
technology which allows them to play watchable video quite comfortably.
A video player for the CoCo will struggle to play *watchable video*.

That is not to say that someone like Sock Master can't  amaze us with
some form or video playback, I just think that apart from a moment of
temporary amusement, watching an episode of "Heroes" on a CoCo video
player may not be something many of us will be able to bare for too long
in 16 colors at 15fps (and that would be the best it could do if it had
to decode compressed video data).

But please, don't let me stop anyone from trying...I'd be more than
happy to eat my words if someone can prove me wrong.   :)

(There, I've set the challenge, whose up to it?)   :)

Nick