[Coco] CoCo Video Player Project

Mark McDougall msmcdoug at iinet.net.au
Sat Apr 4 18:24:25 EDT 2009

Mark McDougall wrote:

> I think if you're attempting to play compressed video, you can forget
> about doing it on a Coco unless you're happy with restricting the frame
> rate / resolution even further. You may be able to implement something
> like RLE, but that's pretty much useless for anything other than
> "cartoon-style" graphics.

FWIW - and I mention this purely as a reference - I've ported a software
XVID (MPEG4) player on a 100MHz NIOS CPU and it can sustain about 8 fps at
320x240! By far the biggest bottleneck is the colour-space conversion. I
think we calculated that if we implemented that in hardware, or transcoded
to an RGB format, we could sustain full video frame rates.

Regards,