[Coco] Possible Coco patent?

Aaron Banerjee spam_proof at verizon.net
Sun Sep 21 11:56:13 EDT 2008

I got it from the US Patent Office.  The patent could very well be
expired, whether by age or not being maintained.  It is still in the
Patent Office records.  For example, Eli Whitney's cotton gin (Patent
#X72) is still in their records although it expired centuries ago.  It
serves as prior art to prevent someone else from patenting the cotton
gin.  (I have 4 cotton gins in my collection).

In the United States, when a patent expires, it becomes public
knowledge.  Since it's public, no one can patent it again and prevent
others from making, using, or selling it.  Please remember that the
applicant can petition to revive a patent back to life, even if they
didn't pay the maintenance fee, so long as the statutory period (I
think it's 20 years from filing now) hasn't expired.

                         - Aaron

p.s.  I used to work at the patent office.  You probably won't have
ever heard of any of the patents I ever issued except for the one for
the idea of putting a device on a computer mouse that scrolls the
screen.  Patent # 5,313,229.  It was originally a lever on the side of
the mouse, but it really was the first "scroll wheel" -- or at least I
couldn't find any prior art to reject it with.  The inventors were two
fellows from Argentina.  Not Microsoft.

p.p.s.  The Patent Office has a pretty good search engine, however if
you want copies of patents in .pdf form, once you already know the
patent number, GOTO <http://www.pat2pdf.com>

p.p.p.s.  Perhaps I should have made a longer post and held off on all
of the post scripts....