[Coco] easy tape file transfer from PC to CoCo

Roger Taylor operator at coco3.com
Sun Nov 16 22:04:55 EST 2008

Btw, I also plan to put an option in the menu of the MPROM driver
disk for loading the ROM image from tape.  The disk load option won't
be removed.

The catch is that the software can't peek at the ROM file to know if
it's a LOADM type or raw ROM data, so there will be two modes: Load
raw ROM file from tape, and Load binary file from tape.

The original MPROM software wants a LOADM'able ROM image, which
sucks.  I've since added a Load raw ROM data from disk in the
menu.  It takes a while to load while the LOADM option is almost
instant.  From Rainbow, if you built a ROM image such as a Disk
Operating System, or game, you have to put ORG $C000 at the top and
choose "CoCo LOADM" for the object type.  To build a raw ROM image,
you have to choose "8k ROM" for the object type.  ORG $C000 can
remain but the file won't be LOADM'able, ofcourse.  Either way, an
option in the new MPROM software will let you load raw or LOADM fromt
tape or disk.

This is where the live tape audio in the IDE comes into play... are
you following now?  In about 5 minutes or less you could click GO to
build your project, first choosing "Load raw ROM from tape" on the
real CoCo, wait a minute, hit '2-Program EPROM'.  From source code to
ready EPROM in less than 5 minutes, thanks to the "forgotten CoCo
cassette cable".

For those who aren't following this whole procedure I'm describing,
I'm making it so terribly simple that it's almost silly.  Ofcourse
you'd have to be familiar with the Rainbow IDE for the PC, and the
MPROM system for the CoCo.  Having those two systems plus a cassette
cable is all you'd need to produce EPROM software in lightning speed.

This is a start.  Eventually I'd like to put support in the IDE for
some popular Windows-based EPROM burners, but until I purchase and
test, don't hold your breath on that just yet.  MPROM comes first.
--
Roger Taylor

http://www.wordofthedayonline.com