[Coco] easy tape file transfer from PC to CoCo

Roger Taylor operator at coco3.com
Sun Nov 16 18:14:48 EST 2008

At 12:20 PM 11/16/2008, you wrote:
>Nice Roger! Of course this could go both ways... I wonder if it
>could work reliably at double-speed. Could be a convenient
>alternative to DSKINI/RETRIEVE for quickie file transfers. Maybe
>even use it for other modes of communication, like an intercom
>system between remote cocos or for data sharing sans network.

Yes, it would work at double-speed if the emulators could only play
the virtual tape file at double speed.  If casout.exe could output
double-speed .wav files, that would work as well.  If there's some
kind of filter that could take a .wav file and delete every other
audio sample, that might work as well.

The reason I'm dabbling in the cassette port stuff is that 1) every
CoCo has a cassette port, and 2) almost every PC has a Speaker Out
jack.  If the CoCo user has a cassette cable, and my Rainbow IDE was
made to output your assembled/compiled programs as CoCo tape sound,
no other hardware would be needed to "get a file over to the CoCo"
which is the most commonly asked problem I see on the web.  The
answer I could give them is:  The Rainbow IDE and a cassette cable will do it.

Rainbow wouldn't even have to create or assemble the file to be sent
to the CoCo.  You could "add" an existing file such as HELLO.BAS to
the project then choose COPY for the Builder (this says no assembler
or compiler is used but to just clone the source file into the object
file), give the Output Object a name like "TEST.BAS" then tag the
Output Type as "Cassette Upload" then an external tool I wrote would
be called during the build which would do the job of playing the
virtual tape audio of the source file which was HELLO.BAS.  The whole
process is about 5 or 6 clicks of the mouse and a few filenames to
type.  The ONLY thing missing from my IDE right now to do this is the
external utility to convert a PC file into CoCo cassette audio (and
play it).  You could even add the tool as a Builder and bypass some
of the steps and just Add the file you want to send to the CoCo,
choose "CoCo Cassette Uploader" as the Builder, click GO, and that's
it.  Well, you'd have to first type CLOAD on the real CoCo.

The same seamless process you experience when you press the GO button
in the IDE would happen in a live CoCo tape build.

All that is needed?.... a CoCo cassette cable.  Even if you had to do
a hack and run the wires into the pin holes of the tape jack, that's
better than doing without a way to get files to your CoCo.

--
Roger Taylor

http://www.wordofthedayonline.com