[Coco] PC-to-CoCo floppy drive cable

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Wed Nov 12 22:10:37 EST 2008

On Wednesday 12 November 2008, Roger Taylor wrote:
>At 07:24 PM 11/12/2008, you wrote:
>>Roger, I'm amazed at you.  You have failed miserably the 'are you a
>> packrat' test. Most folks on this list could not deny they are packrats, I
>>sure can't.
>>I probably have 10 or more old pc floppy cables, the twisted ones, cuz
>>anytime someone gives me an old box, it gets stripped for stuff like that.
>>All you need to do is pop the pc's idc connector off, and pop on a coco
>> edge pattern connector.  Fine tipped exacto to open the idc with, and a
>> vice to put the edge connector on with.  And a SHARP pair of scissors to
>> trim the end of the cable in case its ragged.  SE Razor blades can be used
>> two.
>
>This office room is 25% packrat piles, thank ya very much.  :)   Neat
>piles, that is.

Only 25%?

>Ok, a few are messy but this is my domain and it
>ain't my fault it somebody comes in here and trips over a (looking
>behind me for something on the floor...) a full-height CoCo floppy
>drive without the case.  :)

That can be hard on the drive. :(

>I did find my 'Box O' Ribbon Cables' in the closet and they all have
>that stupid plastic wall inside of the edge connector.  The CoCo
>controllers don't have the notch for those.

Also generally removable with a pair of suture clamps.  But since the
connector is also missing, I just replace them with connectors that have all
their teeth.  Anyway, those are the drive connectors, the end that plugs into
the coco I've never seen a key in.

>Anyway, my 3.5" is working just fine on the CoCo now.  I've done
>stuff like this in the past with my repack, etc. but things get foggy
>over the years when you stop studying what you already accomplished
>and moved on.

I can testify to that, at length. :)

--
Cheers, Gene