[Coco] PC-to-CoCo floppy drive cable

Roger Taylor operator at coco3.com
Wed Nov 12 21:38:50 EST 2008

At 07:24 PM 11/12/2008, you wrote:

>Roger, I'm amazed at you.  You have failed miserably the 'are you a packrat'
>test. Most folks on this list could not deny they are packrats, I
>sure can't.
>I probably have 10 or more old pc floppy cables, the twisted ones, cuz
>anytime someone gives me an old box, it gets stripped for stuff like that.
>All you need to do is pop the pc's idc connector off, and pop on a coco edge
>pattern connector.  Fine tipped exacto to open the idc with, and a vice to
>put the edge connector on with.  And a SHARP pair of scissors to trim the end
>of the cable in case its ragged.  SE Razor blades can be used two.

This office room is 25% packrat piles, thank ya very much.  :)   Neat
piles, that is.  Ok, a few are messy but this is my domain and it
ain't my fault it somebody comes in here and trips over a (looking
behind me for something on the floor...) a full-height CoCo floppy
drive without the case.  :)

I did find my 'Box O' Ribbon Cables' in the closet and they all have
that stupid plastic wall inside of the edge connector.  The CoCo
controllers don't have the notch for those.

Anyway, my 3.5" is working just fine on the CoCo now.  I've done
stuff like this in the past with my repack, etc. but things get foggy
over the years when you stop studying what you already accomplished
and moved on.

>I've also had fair luck looking the drives pcb's over with a stout glass,
>often there will be a clue in the artwork as to where to cut the ds1, and
>blob over the ds0 pads.  But I have had to trace it with an ohm-meter to make
>sure I was cutting & blobbing the right traces.
>
>Worse comes to worse, I could send you a copy of the pc version.  Yelp if you
>need it.
>
>--
>Cheers, Gene
>"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
>-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
>Without fools there would be no wisdom.
>
>--

Roger Taylor