[Coco] NitrOS-9 V03.02.07 Release

Robert Gault robert.gault at worldnet.att.net
Sat May 17 22:08:10 EDT 2008

Diego Barizo wrote:
> Boisy, I've been trying to run the mb script from the 40t disk from
> 6809L2, and it freezes trying to read the disk. Might this be a
> corrupted disk issue? It works OK from the 80t. I tried copying the
> script from one disk to the other, but still freezes.
> I just tried typing the commands from the mb script, and it's the prompt
> command the one that seems to fail. Strange, since I don't get the
> messages from echo that come before. Using the format command fails
> also. Maybe some of the executables in the disk got misplaced from
> another distribution (6309)?
> PS: I have just tried this in emulators. Anyone else had this or a
> similar problem?

I have just tested this using MESS with the 6809L2 40_d1 in drive0,
fresh os9 disk in /d1, and 6809L2 40_d2 in /d2. I have been able to make
perfect boot disks of both single sided 40 track and double sided 40
track types.

There should not be any problems on real hardware but there can be with
emulators. On real hardware, the success of the format of the new disk
depends on your drive hardware single or dual side. On an emulator, the
success of the format can depend on the type of image you pre-installed.
Format will take the descriptor info as the default which in the case of
the NitrOS-9 distribution is 2 sides 40 track. If you mounted a 1 side
35 or 40 track or a 2 sided 35 track image, format will fail.

So if you are trying to create a boot disk for an RGBDOS hard drive, you
must use dmode first to customize the /d1 specs.