[Coco] [coco] the old grey ghost lives!!

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sat May 10 20:57:06 EDT 2008

On Saturday 10 May 2008, RJRTTY at aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 5/10/2008 11:21:02 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
>
>jimhrubik at earthlink.net writes:
>>Don't know how many people would buy a kit, but if the schematics
>>(for the original) and drivers were posted somewhere as a project
>>there might be some interest.  OTOH, the monitor adapter seemed  to
>>take off quite nicely, so maybe something like this in a  SIMM
>>configuration would gain a following as well.
>
>You know I think you are right.  Such a thing might be popular
>even with the coco3 crowd.  Especially if I could fit it into a
>single full size cartridge enclosure with modern components.   I  will
>look into it as time permits.
>
>This is just one more reason I need to start my own website.
>I have just been too busy and too lazy...... aren't they mutually
>exclusive? :)
>
>I need to make better use of the little free time I have......
>
>Roy

IMO antique 1 meg Simms are the way to go.  I have a disto 2 meg kit in my
coco3, sitting right on the expansion card pins, with a small auxillary board
that contains the rest of the circuitry.  With an external power supply and a
6309 in it, the amount of heat is truly miniscule, maybe 3 watts total.  I
can toss a furniture blanket folded 4 thicknesses over it, come back 24 hours
later and the photo thermometer laying over the memory is maybe 2 degrees
above room temp.  So heating is not now, and never has been a consideration
for that machine.  Putting it there, inside the machine, puts it where it
should be anyway.  You never have enough slots in the MPI to keep it all
plugged in & I sure wouldn't waste a cartridge slot in the mpi for an even
slower interface to more memory.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)