[Coco] Wordpak

Chuck Youse cyouse at serialtechnologies.com
Mon Jul 14 11:02:51 EDT 2008

On Mon, 2008-07-14 at 10:34 -0400, Bruce W. Calkins wrote:
> WordPak = composite output 80 by 24
>
> WordPakII=composite output 80 by 24 with an input, so your composite output
> from your CoCo can be routed top the same monitor.  There is a relay or
> electronic switch to control weather the input or the WordPak is outputing
> to the monitor.
>
> WordPakRS=? I don't have one or any documentation for one.

Hmm, I may have to reverse-engineer it!  Much fun.

> To the best of my knowledge all are based on the 6845 monochrome monitor
> driver chip.

Actually, the 6845 is color-agnostic.  It's responsible for generating
timing and address data for a display, but leaves it to external
circuitry to generate pixel data - the CGA card from IBM, for example,
was 6845-based and color.

> Since the data is input to the WordPak serially, it can get
> behind.  Under OS-9 Level 1 release 2 I went to a 64 by 24 software driven
> display and shelved the WordPakII.

So the Workpak II was just too slow?  That sucks.  Can you define 'get
behind'? :)  Was it terribly slow on scrolling, perhaps?

C.