[Coco] Wordpak

Bruce W. Calkins brucewcalkins at charter.net
Mon Jul 14 12:11:47 EDT 2008

>> Since the data is input to the WordPak serially, it can get
>> behind.  Under OS-9 Level 1 release 2 I went to a 64 by 24 software
>> driven
>> display and shelved the WordPakII.
>
> So the Workpak II was just too slow?  That sucks.  Can you define 'get
> behind'? :)  Was it terribly slow on scrolling, perhaps?
>
> C.

The WORD-PAK output will occasionally get behind a fast typist.  You will
watch the characters being placed on the screen too.  It was faster than a
300 baud modem, but you do often watch them printing to the screen one
character at a time.  The normal screen output has to be converted and fed
to the WORD-PAK through an output address in high RAM.  IIRC, this address
was reassigned in the CoCo 3 so the WORD-PAK does not work with the CoCo 3.
OTOH the CoCo 3 has 80 by 24 (26 with a poke or two) so the WORD-PAK would
be redundant, unless you wanted to run two monitors.

I have not scanned the manual in to make a PDF yet.  Seeing as said manual
has a copyright notice I might not even get around to it.

~BWC~