[Coco] getting graphics into CoCo games easier

Roger Taylor operator at coco3.com
Sat Jan 19 23:01:28 EST 2008

One thing we've needed for years is a way to convert existing
graphics from a PC into sprites and bitmaps for use with CoCo games, etc.

I could easily write a Projector-3 format driver that converts
whatever is on the graphics screen into a compressed .asm source code
file representing the image, as well as specific areas of the image
as a grid or single areas.  If a grid of a certain width/height/size
is chosen, a source code file would be created with fcb's/fdb's/fqb's
of the graphics data.  I know of ways to automatically create the
sprite masks, including a one-pixel black bordered mask if that's desired.

Again, you could take any kind of image, and if it's not a GIF, BMP,
or some other P-3 compatible format you can use a PC editor to turn
it into one, then move it to a virtual .dsk that P-3 (running in
M.E.S.S. or VCC) can access.  Load in the picture, and then choose
<E>ncode and type .asm for the new extension and voila. That's what I
want it to do anyway.  A highlighter grid will appear on the display
where you can section off the area the sprites are in and size them,
etc. before saving to the source code file.

I'm sure the .asm file could grow pretty large if I don't use some
kind of compression scheme, but the Rainbow IDE doesn't care how big
the files are and has no problem with crunching this kind of
stuff.  The idea is to make it easier to make CoCo games using
existing HQ graphics found all over the web, scanned in, hand drawn
from the PC, etc.

I also almost forgot, does Chet Simpson's ImageMaster actually work
to create CoCo sprites in .asm source?