[Coco] A faster "Real" CoCo

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Fri Jan 18 14:30:16 EST 2008

On 18 Jan 2008 at 9:14, Frank Swygert wrote:

> Since the CoCo3 is 80% (or more) backward compatible with the CoCo2, I
> don't really see much need to worry about the CC2 switch. What I WOULD
> like to see is something capable of using readily available components
> like modern monitors and keyboards, and it would have to have a floppy
> controller to connect an "antique" 5.25" drive. The later could be
> done away with, and substitute a flash memory card of some type for a
> hard/floppy drive, but then you'd have to have a separate system to
> transfer software with. I guess most can round up an old PC if
> necessary, at least for now, but would be nice if that wasn't
> necessary. Of course if the cartridge port is emulated (maybe in a
> double row header instead of an edge card connector) that could be
> connected to a real CoCo floppy controller. The only disadvantage of
> using a double row header would be an adapter is needed for a
> cartridge, but you can wire wrap directly to a header for
> experimenting. Well, maybe it would be better to use
>  an edge card connector and have an adapter card with a header...

Frank

GOing with an FPGA, quite abit of backward compatibility can be maintained while still
using more modern peripherals. As for a FDC, that to can be incorparated into the FPGA
along with IDE and SPI to communcate with flash cards. The main drawback is having a
large enough FPGA and its associated costs. Even the MPI interface could be incorparated
into one motherboard.

james