[Coco] A faster "Real" CoCo

Frank Swygert farna at att.net
Fri Jan 18 09:14:27 EST 2008

Since the CoCo3 is 80% (or more) backward compatible with the CoCo2, I don't really see much need to worry about the CC2 switch. What I WOULD like to see is something capable of using readily available components like modern monitors and keyboards, and it would have to have a floppy controller to connect an "antique" 5.25" drive. The later could be done away with, and substitute a flash memory card of some type for a hard/floppy drive, but then you'd have to have a separate system to transfer software with. I guess most can round up an old PC if necessary, at least for now, but would be nice if that wasn't necessary. Of course if the cartridge port is emulated (maybe in a double row header instead of an edge card connector) that could be connected to a real CoCo floppy controller. The only disadvantage of using a double row header would be an adapter is needed for a cartridge, but you can wire wrap directly to a header for experimenting. Well, maybe it would be better to use an edge card connector and have an adapter card with a header...

Cost is why this project started with software emulation. If it were based on the DOS emulators, it could be run on something as simple as this:
There would need to be drivers for the USB ports so they could be used for interfacing other hardware though. Game controllers/joysticks, for example, and a real floppy drive would be nice even if it is a 3.5" USB drive. This particular $100 computer has a P166 compatible processor and all I/O on-board. Just needs a monitor and a USB keyboard! No hard drive -- uses a CF card and 128K on-board RAM. Boots from the CF card. The "CoCo4" could be put on a CF card and run! A USB drive could emulate a floppy, the CF card something like RGB-DOS.

Here are some other sub $200 PC based computers. If a PC is running one of the free DOS versions that's been stripped down to only what's needed by the emulator, and it boots up as a CoCo, it basically IS a CoCo. I know it's emulation, but it would be a cheap way to get a "CoCo4" with 75% or more backward compatibility (software).

--------------
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 17:15:49 -0600
From: "Dave R in Illinois" <lazyhand at sbcglobal.net>

I guess the first thing to do would be to hammer out a list of goals here,
then try to accomplish one by one. Sticking to a layout similar to a CoCo 3
would most likely be best in the long run. I was thinking perhaps a CoCo 2 /
3 hybrid. With both a dedicated VDG from the coco2 and the GIME from the
Coco3, with a simple hw based switch. IMHO this makes the most sense, if we
are to go forward; we should also find a way to be more backwards compatible
in the same respect. I would also like to see some sort of flashable bios.
This shouldn't be too hard to integrate, seeing how there are flash
(although not perfectly pin compatible) 28 pin 27c replacements, such as the
Atmel AT29C256. Adapters are available cheaply though, or we could just
design the pcb with it in mind to begin with.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"