[Coco] A faster "Real" CoCo

Joel Ewy jcewy at swbell.net
Fri Jan 18 23:05:12 EST 2008

jdaggett at gate.net wrote:
> On 18 Jan 2008 at 9:14, Frank Swygert wrote:
>

>> Since the CoCo3 is 80% (or more) backward compatible with the CoCo2, I
>> don't really see much need to worry about the CC2 switch. What I WOULD
>> like to see is something capable of using readily available components
>> like modern monitors and keyboards, and it would have to have a floppy
>> controller to connect an "antique" 5.25" drive. The later could be
>> done away with, and substitute a flash memory card of some type for a
>> hard/floppy drive, but then you'd have to have a separate system to
>> transfer software with. I guess most can round up an old PC if
>> necessary, at least for now, but would be nice if that wasn't
>> necessary. Of course if the cartridge port is emulated (maybe in a
>> double row header instead of an edge card connector) that could be
>> connected to a real CoCo floppy controller. The only disadvantage of
>> using a double row header would be an adapter is needed for a
>> cartridge, but you can wire wrap directly to a header for
>> experimenting. Well, maybe it would be better to use
>>  an edge card connector and have an adapter card with a header...
>>

> Frank
>
> GOing with an FPGA, quite abit of backward compatibility can be maintained while still
> using more modern peripherals. As for a FDC, that to can be incorparated into the FPGA
> along with IDE and SPI to communcate with flash cards. The main drawback is having a
> large enough FPGA and its associated costs. Even the MPI interface could be incorparated
> into one motherboard.
>

> james

In fact, I believe it's possible, at least with some FPGAs, to
dynamically reconfigure the logic array while running.  If that's the
case, one could even swap functional units in and out and reconfigure
the hardware as needed.  Even if you have to reset the computer in order
to give it an organ transplant, one major virtue of an FPGA is that the
hardware specifications don't have to be set in stone.

JCE