[Coco] Copying a data/binary file from disk to cassette

Phil phil.salathe at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 00:23:41 EST 2008

tim lindner <tlindner at macmess.org> wrote:

>BASIC's disk and cassette I/O commands seems to be very textual
>orientated. Reading arbituary (binary) files with them is inconsistant.
>It'll have to be done at a lower level.

Oh dear.  Should I give up on makewav, then?  And is Bob's
hypothetical program unlikely to succeed?

Fortunately, I have very little of significance that's yet to get off
those old disks -- just a couple of data files that are of no major
importance, and could certainly wait until I can get my hands on an
old PC with a 5-1/4" drive.  I was more interested in playing
downloaded games on real hardware.

>Phil, I suggest you follow Jean-Paul Samson's advice and get DriveWire.
>:)

Heh.  I can't say I'm not tempted, but as a grad student, money's
tight, and I'd need to buy a serial-to-USB adapter as well...we'll
see.

By the way, what number format is makewav expecting to see for the -d
and -e switches?  And how do you figure out where an executable .bin
loads into memory?  I tried running a FOR-NEXT loop with PEEKs in the
relevant areas before and after, but I just don't have the hardware
knowledge to make it work, and I would think there has to be
something in the header to tell CLOADM/LOADM where to put it.

-- Phil