[Coco] 2 MB upgrade in PAL coco3

Bob Devries devries.bob at gmail.com
Sun Jan 20 19:29:43 EST 2008

Hello, fellow coconuts.

I brought this topic up some time ago, with no resolution, so I'll present
it again.

I have a Disto 2MB upgrade board here that I have tried to install into my
Australian PAL coco3. Physical installation was fine, but... it just doesn't
work.

I believe there was at one time a discussion regarding this problem on
either Delphi or Compuserve. If anyone has the complete transcript of this,
or has knowledge of the problem, I'd appreciate getting the information.

My guess is that it is a timing problem, or the clock signal used isn't
correct somehow. The only change from the installation instructions is the
connection of the clock signal. On the Australian Coco3, the master clock is
supplied by a crystal oven; one of those small rectangular metal minidip
devices with 4 pins. This signal connects to pins 2 (signal) and 3 (ground)
of the GIME. I connected the upgrade clock signal to pin 2 of the GIME. The
crystal oven's frequency is 28.475 MHz.

Can anyone help with this?

the capacity to be his spokesman,
so that I know how to help the weary.