[Coco] Mary and the Butterflies update

Roger Taylor operator at coco3.com
Tue Jan 8 21:15:39 EST 2008

Folks,

I have sent a test copy of this game on virtual disk to a tester
tonight and I'll be anxiously waiting for any feedback.  I have 2
kids who keep having their friends over, and anytime they see me
working on the game they insist on playing it.  I think we've got a
winner here, for all ages.  Only it does take skill, and the kids
mostly like to hear Mary scream when the bees get too close, or the
"bloOOOp!" sound when she gets a butterfly.

The game will most likely finalize as-is tomorrow or Thursday with
the following features:

No time limit
endless supply of butterflies
same supply of bees, but only one bite ends the game
high score and current score shown at top
50 points for catching a butterfly
-1 deduction for hiding behind a tree from the bees! (it counts down
pretty quick)
4-voice background jam
any sound effect borrows the 3rd voice for the duration
pause mode (ENTER) with scrolling marquee message at bottom
arrows to run (LEFT/RIGHT)
RGB and Composite modes (monochrome mode was removed)

Mary Kramer will be getting royalties from this game, so please show
your support and more games will definately come.

facts:
one page sprite based animation, no flicker unless Bob's setup shows some
With no flicker, get this.. Mary is erased, the trees are drawn
(which takes way longer than 60hz), and Mary is redrawn.  No
bitmasking is done for the critters or the trees.  Mary is mixed so
the trees don't hide her, but if the trees are drawn directly (before
Mary), you would *normally* still see flicker between the tree and
Mary's sprite.  It works very nice.