[Coco] ka9q was Re: Coco Contiki

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Feb 28 00:34:48 EST 2008

On Thursday 28 February 2008, Willard Goosey wrote:
>On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 06:42:42PM -0600, Christopher Hawks wrote:
>> 	Me Too! Tho my Linux box was the internet connection and hub. And I
>> 	had
>> my Coco3, MM/1, and AT306 all running ka9q.
>
>Oooh!  So you're the guy I really want to talk to, to get my Coco3
>talking SLIP to my Linux box!
>
>Details, man.  The more details you can give me, the greater the
>chance I can figure out what I'm doing wrong.
>
>Now that I know it can actually work, I'm going to take another stab
>at getting KA9Q to work!
>
>Willard

Keep us posted please Willard.  I have an old copy it someplace in that image
of my old maxtor that's currently sitting in /dd/maxtor of the 1GB scsi drive
I'm using now, and I can certainly afford yet another FDTI usb<-->rs232
adapter for this end of the cable to give it yet another shot.

ISTR the last time I tried it, I had a 2400 baud modem on the rs-232 pack, and
couldn't even get it dial a phone number, but I can now scare up something
faster I believe, or a 7 wire null modem cable to this box might also work.

I did have supercomm-2.3 working well enough with a null cable to here and
could see my typing back and forth between this box and the coco, but nothing
faster worked, even a 10 byte file sent with zmodem from either end failed.
The zmodem triggering strings worked on both ends, but the 10 byte file was
munged like there was no flow controls either way and after a few dozen
tries, even zmodem gave up.  And the knowledge of how to use the newer xmode
to configure sacia or aciapak for hardware or software flow controls seems to
have become lost in the sands of time cuz no one is now calling delphi or
some other bbs with a modem on a coco like we did 20 years ago with coco1's &
2's.

My pleas for assistance went into echo valley (aka here on this list) ok, but
echo was on vacation that week (or something). :-)

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)