[Coco] [coco] CNC coco

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Fri Feb 8 11:20:29 EST 2008

On Friday 08 February 2008, George Ramsower wrote:
>WOO:HOO!

Join the club George.  I have a similar project under way.  Lacking a power
hacksaw, I'm crazy enough to use a WhizCut abrasive wheel to cut off the
amount of a 2" sq steel bar that I need to make the clamp block for a boring
bar, spinning it with that puny little motor on my micromill.  I blew so many
fuses I hit the shack for a meter & enough stuffs to make an amperage draw
meter so I could see how hard the motor was working, and in about 10 hours
run time over the last 2 days, I'm about .85" deep with the cutting line
right now.  But its going faster since I found it cut better if I swept it
back and forth with emc, only cutting 50 thou at a time, which narrows the
cutting surface and speeds the overall cut.  A straight plunge cut soon has
so much surface in contact with the wheels edge that I can only advance
about .002/minute.  But I should have pretty close to an optical flat on the
cut surface, which will be the bottom, sitting on the lathes cross slide when
I'm done, which is not the ideal as I'll have to make another pass and dish
it in the center about 3 thou so it will crush into 100% contact when
tightened down.  I had to do the same with that Phase II quick change tool
post, otherwise it was just so much rubber sitting there.

This is truly lights out manufacturing as once a cut pass is underway, I can
leave and warm up my feet & get a fresh cuppa.  Sometimes one measures
progress with a micrometer?  :-)