[Coco] [coco] CNC coco

George Ramsower georgeramsower at gmail.com
Fri Feb 8 20:06:37 EST 2008

 I learned a long time ago that cutting steel with an abrasive wheel is okay
if the steel isn't very thick. On thick pieces, it is important to keep
moving the part and get a cool spot. As the steel heats, it liquifies and
causes the cutting wheel to literaly float over the surface..generating more
heat and wasting time. If you were to work a square piece as if you
drilling, ie: hit, get off, hit again, get off.... etc. it would work a
little better. It's called "Pecking".

 Last year, I had to cut a four inch round stock with an abrasive wheel. It
didn't take long to SEE what was happening. So I started rotating the stock
as I was grinding through it and suddenly it was finished.
 Use a mill to finish the part after it's rough cut. Don't count on a saw to
make a good part. Even a machine shop will cut off a piece large enough to
finish it with a machine to make a good part. It is a lot faster and more
precise.

 I don't think my coco cnc machine can do this, unless it's about 1/4 inch
thick... and our energy resources will last long enough or the sun doesn't
burn out first.

George