[Coco] EPROM question

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Thu Feb 7 14:41:08 EST 2008

On 6 Feb 2008 at 16:09, Joef6809 wrote:

> Does anyone know how long an EPROM can retain its memory. I remember
> from the data sheets that the stored data will degrade over time but I
> don't remember how long it is. I'm asking as I just bought a
> Radioshack Videotex terminal from Ebay and oddly enough it has an
> EPROM instead of the mask rom I had expected. BTW does anyone else on
> the list have one and does it also have an EPROM? Thanks.

What Gene stated is pretty much correct. Memory retention is highly
dependent on the programming. The voltage and time duration for each
transistor is very important. sacrifce either and you reduce retention time.

In general 20 yrs is good. Some boast  up to 50 yrs. Due to the construction
of the memory bit and how it is programed, 20 yrs is most likely a very good
minimum.

james