[Coco] NitrOS-9

Robert Gault robert.gault at worldnet.att.net
Wed Feb 6 17:21:18 EST 2008

Robert Gault wrote:
> Boisy G. Pitre wrote:
>
>> <snip>
>>

>>> Limited usability of the EDIT command as text editor
>>

>> Granted.  I would love to include Ved, but Bob van der Poel wants to
>> keep selling it.  A visual editor would be  a welcome addition to the
>> standard distribution.
>>
>  ><snip>
>
> I've used Scred for a very long time as an editor with OS-9/NitrOS-9. It
> is designed for source files rather than word processing and can edit
> files larger than its maximum buffer or 32K. It uses a version of
> termset making adaptable to different environments.
>
> There is no copyright or ID information within the program and if it is
> privately owned, I don't know who the owner is. It is by far a better
> program than Edit.

  After more checking, I've found that Scred (Screen Editor) was part of
a development package for OS-9 LevelII, distributed by Tandy, for
purposes of creating ml files. The entire package contains Debug
(debugger), Scred (screen editor), RMA ( relocating macro assembler),
Make, Touch, and a RAM disk driver. Also included were commands removed
from LevelII: binex, dump, exbin, login, modpatch, montype, park, save,
sleep, tee, tsmon, verify.
  An example of the disturbing trend of Tandy to emasculate the Coco.
All of this was free as part of LevelI.

  Anyway, that may answer the question or at least point the way to who
currently has the rights to Scred.