[Coco] Screen Editors was Re: NitrOS-9

James Hrubik jimhrubik at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 6 17:42:02 EST 2008

There was also a Sled that was uploaded to Delphi.  I never used it
much because I found Ed_3_1 to be a nicer package.  Both are on RTSI
under os9_6x09/apps.  There is also a Colorful_Sled_6Ed, but I don't
know what that is.  Used Edit occasionally, but I was sort of afraid
of it.

On Feb 6, 2008, at Wednesday, February 6, 2008 - 5:21 PM, Robert
Gault wrote:

> Robert Gault wrote:
>> Boisy G. Pitre wrote:
>>> <snip>

>>> Granted.  I would love to include Ved, but Bob van der Poel wants
>>> to  keep selling it.  A visual editor would be  a welcome
>>> addition to the  standard distribution.
>>>
>>  ><snip>
>> I've used Scred for a very long time as an editor with OS-9/
>> NitrOS-9. It is designed for source files rather than word
>> processing and can edit files larger than its maximum buffer or
>> 32K. It uses a version of termset making adaptable to different
>> environments.
>> There is no copyright or ID information within the program and if
>> it is privately owned, I don't know who the owner is. It is by far
>> a better program than Edit.
>
>  After more checking, I've found that Scred (Screen Editor) was
> part of a development package for OS-9 LevelII, distributed by
> Tandy, for purposes of creating ml files. The entire package
> contains Debug (debugger), Scred (screen editor), RMA ( relocating
> macro assembler), Make, Touch, and a RAM disk driver. Also included
> were commands removed from LevelII: binex, dump, exbin, login,
> modpatch, montype, park, save, sleep, tee, tsmon, verify.
>  An example of the disturbing trend of Tandy to emasculate the
> Coco. All of this was free as part of LevelI.
>
>  Anyway, that may answer the question or at least point the way to
> who currently has the rights to Scred.

"There are no dangerous weapons;
there are only dangerous men."
Ship's Sergeant Zim , in