[Coco] Why do we need a CoCo 4? (Long irrelevant rant)

Rogelio Perea os9dude at gmail.com
Tue Dec 30 09:03:02 EST 2008

After all the excitement (if any) on the early 90s as The Rainbow shrunk in
size and announced the successors for the CoCo 3 (The Tomcat and the MM/1
mainly), I really don't expect these conversations to go beyond the academic
exercise phase... that is beyond postings by very knowledgeable and tech
savvy people we have on the list.

For me the CoCo 3 is the epitome of that line of computers, as it is the
C128 on that other line ;-) My own CoCo 3 setup still has a lot to be souped
up with, I am yet to try adding a hard disk and other hardware goodies
(finances permitting next year) so I'm in for a ride on that 6809 8 bit
based wonder. For anything more in computing terms I will turn to my Ubuntu
Linux based eeePC (pretty slick to run the Mocha on-line CoCo emulator
there) and yes even the Windoze XP rig... a CoCo 4 in my future? - I don't
think so, even if the thing came ever to be a reality I believe the CoCo
flavor would be stripped out, to turn it into an evolved product stemming
from that humble VDG & GIME humble root, pretty much like what the Amiga was
to the original C64 and C128 line up... shared their name but was a whole
different animal in the end.

I'll follow the discussions on a "CoCo 4" though... there is something to
learn within all that is said back and forth. Still, maybe it would be
honest to avoid calling the new machine a CoCo. It will not be.

-=[ Rogelio ]=-