[Coco] Why do we need a CoCo 4? (Long irrelevant rant)

Frank Swygert farna at att.net
Tue Dec 30 18:02:26 EST 2008

Am I reading this right? Could a more or less CoCo compatible machine be made with a HC12? Something that would be at least 75% compatible? I know that a lot of compatibility issues with the CoCo 3 are in the GIME chip, but you're working that issue! Of course I'd like to see something backward compatible with DECB, but I think it should be acceptable if CC1/2 compatibility suffered or was gone (such as support for PMODE screens) IF the space were needed for graphics enhancements or coding could be seriously simplified. There would be some software "loss" without those old graphics modes, but I personally think that would be an acceptable compromise -- can't be many "popular" programs out there that don't have some newer CC3 replacement. Some of the kids games, most likely, would be lost. DECB could even be patched if necessary. As long as CC3 specific games ran I don't think many would object.

Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2008 20:41:32 -0500
From: jdaggett at gate.net

Probably would be better to do something like what the HC11/HC12
approach. Then again if the HC12 had a U register then this thread would
be mute. A Coco4 would better be done with an HC12.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"