[Coco] NitrOS9 driver for Tandy RS232 Pak?

Steven Hirsch snhirsch at gmail.com
Mon Dec 29 17:50:15 EST 2008

On Mon, 29 Dec 2008, Gene Heskett wrote:

>> Only one respondant mentioned the need to remove the EPROM from the Program
>> Pak.  I'd rather not damage the label to extract the case screw unless
>> absolutely necessary.  Can anyone confirm that removal of the internal
>> EPROM is, in fact, a requirement under NitrOS9?

> Yes.  In fact I am amazed that it is still intact and in place.  It may
> already have been removed.  IIRC, it contains some sort of a broken, never
> was supported by anybody, autobooting vid-text terminal program.  IIRC that
> is, please understand its been 2+ decades and many many such case openings
> for mine.

I'm not seeing an EPROM in this unit.  Holding the PCB with the DB25F
connector facing me, there's a 6551 ACIA chip on the right and a 24-pin
chip on the left labeled 'SCM95046P.  Is that a masked ROM carrying the
firmware?

Would like to be sure before warming up the desoldering station!

> Mine no longer has the little tin can power convertor either as it
> smoked itself at least 15 years ago, so mine is rewired and must live in an
> MPI for power purposes.  It also has the piggy backed kit which I use for a
> serial mouse now.  Sweet.  I also used it for a 2nd midi port with ultimuse
> for a while, but ultimuse never grew a recording function, so the mouse won.

What piggybacked unit is this?

Steve