[Coco] CoCoNet

Roger Taylor operator at coco3.com
Sun Dec 28 22:11:13 EST 2008

At 07:15 PM 12/27/2008, you wrote:
>Roger, I have to say that this is awesome! Excellent work _ I have a
>DISTO MC-1 with a 28-pin socket, so this is great!

Just another example:

your PC has a file somewhere, perhaps on the CoCo Archive DVD, called
J:\cuts.bas
you want your real CoCo to to run cuts.bas

DRIVE 1,"C:\WORKDISK.DSK"   <-- doesn't exist? a blank is created
SAVEW "J:\CUTS.BAS","CUTS.BAS",A
RUN "CUTS"

Notice how the DRIVE and SAVEW command effectively does what imgtool.exe does.

SAVEW will also grab pictures or other binary files from the web, not
just HTML or text content.  No LF/CR conversion is performed with the
current build of CoCoNet.  Too much work, too little time.  I'm
getting to it.  HTML files definately need to be translated to CoCo
LINE INPUT compatible lines so you can read them like any other
OPENed ASCII file.  The SAVEW command will translate the files before
saving them to the desired virtual disk.

So, to summarize:

CoCoNet sends the CoCo remote data and files by placing them on
mounted virtual disks, meaning the CoCo can process the data in the
usual manner from BASIC.
Remote files can be from the PC or from the web.

CoCoNet consists of two enhanced Disk BASIC commands:

SAVEW "remote file","cocofile.ext",type  (I might change this to
SAVEN (network) before releasing.
DRIVE #,"remote pathname"
     in direct prompt mode, DRIVE will list drives 0-3, whether Real
or Virtual, and mark the default drive

All Disk BASIC commands work with virtual disks as well:
LOAD, SAVE, DIR, DSKI$, DSKO$, DSKINI, etc.
   (subclause: web disks can't be written to)

With these basic functions, a *LOT* can be done now from the
CoCo.  Append parameters to the SAVEW URL and you're able to
communicate with a PHP or Perl script, send chunks of data, get an
unlimited amount of return data (up to the size of a mounted virtual
disk), and more.

--
Roger Taylor

http://www.wordofthedayonline.com