[Coco] CoCoNet

Roger Taylor operator at coco3.com
Sat Dec 27 21:00:50 EST 2008

At 07:15 PM 12/27/2008, you wrote:
>Roger, I have to say that this is awesome! Excellent work _ I have a
>DISTO MC-1 with a 28-pin socket, so this is great!

Yep, you can pop the CoCoNet ROM in, start the PC server, turn on the
CoCo, and it's ready.  The CoCo won't know the difference.  None of
the Disk BASIC commands have been crippled, and only about 10 bytes
of low system RAM are used by the system, which were previously
unused by any part of BASIC.

I just burned version .09 and the CoCo 3 starts right up as usual.  I
typed DRIVE 1,"D01" then DIR and I see the listing of "d01.dsk" which
is stored in the CoCoNet disk folder at coco3.com.  Any disk pathname
not including a complete path will assume a coco3.com-stored virtual
disk from the CoCoNet folder.  Thousands of disks can be at your
fingertips from the second you power up, using only shortcut names
like "new", "p3", "jeweled", etc.

Just for an example, you could easily start up every day with
something like DRIVE 0,"new" and instantly have access to floppy disk
containing new stuff I've written for the CoCo.  That's just off the
top of my head.  new.dsk gets downloaded quickly to a local copy on
the PC, so you can even modify it as usual or back it up to a real disk, etc.

I just made the funamentals work.  The limits are up to the CoCo
user's imagination.

Issues: some web servers require case-sensitive URLs.  Sometimes the
root URL will work in all caps, but the files have to be
case-correct.  So you'll usually have to use a URL like
"HTTP://WWW.COCO3.COM/coconet/somedisk.dsk", or just type it all in
lowercase.  If the files are stored on the server in all caps, you'd
have to use all caps from the CoCo.  Again, some web servers will
work around this.

--
Roger Taylor

http://www.wordofthedayonline.com