[Coco] Color computer these days... (double reply)

Ciaran Anscomb cocomalt at 6809.org.uk
Mon Dec 15 19:28:52 EST 2008

Frank Pittel wrote:
> For the most part I agree about Solaris. I do have to admit that
> I'm a solaris admin and make a living with it.

Well I also make a living out of it, but Solaris 10 has seriously
decreased my love for it.  ZFS is lovely in the userspace, but completely
reverses the Solaris reputation for stability: *don't* run a zpool without
>1 vdev.  Even the latest (0508, I think) release will panic if a vdev
goes away (eg brief glitch causing it to disappear from FC fabric).

It also doesn't make a terribly great desktop, mainly due to XSun not
seeming to support XVideo - and OpenGL acceleration not really seeming
terribly accelerated.  I have an XVR-300 on my workstation, and it still
manages to suck, even though it's just a rebadged ATI card.

Still, Sun *hardware* still seems fairly top (SPARC at least -
ALOM/ELOM/whatever is pretty horrible to deal with) - I'm happy with my
personal T1 running Debian, and if I ever had to upgrade (don't see a
reason to yet), I'd seriously consider a T1000.

..ciaran
--
Ciaran Anscomb, Perl/C Hacker