[Coco] Color computer these days... (double reply)

Andrew keeper63 at cox.net
Sat Dec 13 13:34:44 EST 2008

BookWorm (btw, do you go by an actual name? most of us here are use our
real names, mostly):

> Message: 2
> Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2008 16:49:09 +0000 (UTC)
> From: BookWorm <bookworm at cavenet.com>
> Subject: Re: [Coco] Color computer these days... (double reply)
> To: coco at maltedmedia.com
>
> So it's all compatible unless it's not compatible, but if it's not compatible
> you can make it compatible. Sounds like an even bigger hastle than windows.

What I really meant is that not all binary packages will run "right out
of the box", depending (mainly) on the version of kernel you're using
coupled with any library dependencies. Its kinda the same thing in
Windows, you wouldn't expect XP stuff to run under Windows 98. What the
problem is in the Linux world is that a) distros are versioned, but it
doesn't tell you anything about compatibility at the kernel level, b)
releases of distros and the kernel happen at a much quicker pace than
anything in the Microsoft camp. This "churn" creates a lot of confusion
and angst.

> IMHO linux is for hackers who can't afford a CoCo or a Commodore. (Commodores

Oh, I can more than afford my CoCo 2 and 3 (and I have paid for my
Amigas, so there is that, too). I am in the middle of a hardware upgrade
to my new Ubuntu linux system - I wish it was as cheap as you make it
out to be. True, ubuntu didn't cost me anything (though I might go ahead
and plunk some money down for copies of actual disks, to support the
project), but the hardware cost plenty.

> aren't all *that* bad. There's a C128 version of Unix, and OS/A65 for the C64.
> And there is real software - you can convert Commodore Basic software to
> OS/A65. It sounds like a better "poor man's CoCo" than linux.)

I guess it depends on what you want to do - if the CoCo or anything else
is meeting your needs, then use and abuse it. I am not here to convert
anybody (ok, maybe if I can get Roger Taylor on board the linux camp,
then I could get the Rainbow IDE - though maybe it would run under Wine,
who knows?).

My only beef is with the old saw that I hear lamenting the "lack of real
software" for linux. Maybe 10 years ago you might have had a case, but
it isn't the case anymore. Even if a piece of software is only available
for Windows, it will still most likely run under Wine (a lot of major
games like WoW do, as well many major applications). You may or may not
be able to "point-n-click-n-run" for everything, but for most things it
can be that simple.

But if it isn't for you, then it isn't - I just don't want there to be
any misinformation out there which might turn off others before they
even gave it a chance.

Anyhow - all of this is off topic, which is why I had hoped you would
hit me off-list. I won't say anything more on it (ok, one thing - MESS
under Linux with CoCo 3 emulation runs like a champ - there, something a
bit on-topic!)...

-- Andrew L. Ayers, Glendale, Arizona