[Coco] Ramdisk under Nitros9

Robert Gault robert.gault at worldnet.att.net
Wed Aug 20 07:46:48 EDT 2008

Tony Cappellini wrote:
> I know a lot of work has gone into Nitros9 ive the years, most of the
> details I missed.
> I do have several documents for it from the Nitros site, and I vaguely
> recall the terminology and what I need to do to customize my boot
>
> Has the old OS9L2 boot order bug been squashed?

Yes, it has. The fix is built into the NitrOS-9 releases. You can read
all about the technical side of the fix in the archive on RTSI
ftp://www.rtsi.com/OS9/OS9_6X09/SYSMODS/BLOB_Stop.lzh

> I've loaded mdir to look and see what device descriptors were loaded
> on bootup, I didn't see a ramdisk descriptor.
> Since the emulators can handle > 512k of ram, maybe a ramdisk is still useful.

Hardly if you are using an emulator. Just mount a virtual hard drive and
use that instead of an emulator. On a real Coco system, a ram disk can
still be faster than anything else.

> (I don't have my old Disto ramdisk a cartridge any more) :(
>
> Does a ramsidk descriptor exist for Nitros9?

Yes, a ramdisk is contained in the NitrOS-9 release in the RBF
directory. It is not included in the default OS9Boot file.

> What about the hard drive descriptor? There's an HD image in the Vcc
> emulator downloads, but I can't access it under RSDOs or Nitros9

Vcc includes my modifications to RGBDOS which permits access to an
emulated hard drive. All you need to do is turn it on.
The hard drive on that site already has (or did at one time) a version
of NitrOS-9 installed. You just need to check the directories of 250-255
one of which will be a boot disk that boot directly from the hard drive
under RGBDOS.