[Coco] Pathetic

Mark McDougall msmcdoug at iinet.net.au
Sat Aug 16 20:19:50 EDT 2008

Boisy G. Pitre wrote:

> I'm fully prepared to take the heat for what I am about to say, because
> (a) it's the truth, and (b) it's been a long time coming.

> There's a copious amount of hot air on this list, along with a host of
> big talkers, pontificators, and experts who don't do a damn thing except
> dispense their advice and tell everyone else how things should be done.

I'm really quite shocked and more than a little disappointed with your
attitude, given your standing in the Coco community.

I suspect that it has a lot to do with the fact that for a long time now you
have a business selling Coco hardware and software and that has clouded (no
pun intended) your perspective on things.

To 99% of us, this is a _hobby_. It's something we do in our _spare_ time
because we _enjoy_ doing it. It's something that we _only_ get to do when
the rest of our life doesn't interfere, and when the _mood_ strikes us.

"The whippings shall continue until morale improves!"

Like any other passion, hobby or interest, we are prone to get a little
over-enthusiastic at times. We get an idea in our head and it excites us for
a time. Often they're not fully thought out, but we have grand plans for our
pet project. Then reality hits. We don't have time. We discover it's harder
than we thought. We discover that it's not quite as interesting as we
thought. Or we discover something _else_ that takes our fancy at that
moment. So sue us!

With outbursts like this, you're seriously in danger of biting the hands
that feed you (evidenced by one post already). Not mention the fact that you
could even be accused of being somewhat hypocritical - I mean what's the
deal with this so-called "SuperBoard" or whatever it is that I've been
hearing about for the last few years?

FWIW I subscribe to no less than 17 retro-related mailing lists, not to
mention the usenet newsgroups and web-based forums that I frequent. I can
tell you, the Coco community isn't exactly the largest, so if I was in your
shoes I wouldn't be alienating anyone. And I really can't understand why you
let such events get up your nose? How does anyone blowing hot air affect
you? And exactly where is this "host of ... pontificators" you talk of?

Chill a little.

Regards,