[Coco] Done (with the Rainbow)

Sat Aug 16 02:31:43 EDT 2008

I think everybody needs to take a step back from the ongoing, highly
opinionated discussions occurring on the list.  It looks like some
people are about to take some drastic actions that many of us may
regret later.

The main issue stems from how to preserve the contents of the Rainbow
magazine in digital form.  This has expanded into a number of related
issues regarding the legitimacy of copyrights, whether there is value
in preserving the past, and commitment towards new/ongoing projects.
Unfortunately, a lot of people seem to be looking at things in a very
black and white manner--it's either my way or no way.

I'll ignore those who believe the Rainbow to be a relic of the past
and of no interest (in which case they really don't need to get
involved in any of this).  I'll start with the Lonnie Falk-santioned
project spearheaded by Michael.  Michael has spent a great deal of
time creating a digital Rainbow.  He has decided to do things "by the
book" and will be offering an officially sanctioned product.  There
have been a bunch of ups-and-downs as with any long-term project;
finding the time to work on it and Lonnie's unfortunate death were two
big factors that could have caused the project to fail.  Michael (and
his assistants) have persevered up to this point, and really should be
commended.  It seems to me that the finish line is in sight.

I have a couple of suggestions and observations for Michael.  First,
perhaps it would be a good idea to write a short progress update,
perhaps once every month or two, and post it to this list.  Part of
the reason this fierce discussion ensued was because some people
thought the Rainbow on DVD project was dead, and were looking for an
alternative.  Second, I think the requirement in your contract to act
as an informant--reporting on any competing digitization of the
Rainbow--is odd, even unreasonable.  But then, Falsoft has been known
for having some outrageous contract requirements, a case in point
being the one authors had to sign to be published in the magazine:
Falsoft assumed all ownership rights, and the author was liable for
any legal repercussions.  In hindsight, this requirement benefits
Michael's project from a legal perspective.  A digital Rainbow can be
published today without infringing on the original authors' rights.

The second project, really more of a proposal at this point, is to get
people to casually scan their copies of the Rainbow and distribute
them freely.  Those interested in this approach tend to have a very
open, cooperative viewpoint.  People in this group feel that the
Rainbow copyright is no longer of value given the passage of time,
unenforceable, or in some cases simply disagree with federal copyright
laws (in which case perhaps they should be petitioning their
legislators, not this CoCo list).  This ad hoc approach may result in
an incomplete set of digital issues, and inconsistent and inferior
quality compared to the Rainbow on DVD project.  However, access to
issues would be more immediate, unlike Michael's project that won't be
publicly released until the complete run of the Rainbow is converted.

I believe that there is room for both projects to proceed.  If one
fails, perhaps the other will produce some useful results.  It is
unfortunate that Michael is compelled to report the activities of this
second project, as now these people feel their project, if not
themselves, are threatened.  When threatened, people will tend to lash
back.  And thus we have one of the worst flamewars I've ever seen on
this list.

I can't really tell people what they should do to resolve things.
Perhaps Michael should stop reading the list so that he remains
blissfully unaware of the goings on of the competing project.
Alternatively, those interested in the open Rainbow project could take
their discussions off the list.  Or perhaps we can negotiate a middle
ground--find out what kinds discussions and wording would raise a red
flag in Michael's viewpoint (e.g. mentioning locations where "copies"
of the Rainbow can be found) and find tactful ways around this.

Thanks for taking the time to read my thoughts.  The solution will
require compromises, but I do hope we can come to a reasonable
agreement that most people can live with, and start talking about the
thing we really do have in common: a love for all things CoCo.

-- JP