[Coco] [Color Computer] Re: RAINBOW scans

James Diffendaffer jdiffendaffer at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 15 15:29:16 EDT 2008

I'm not really sure how to take that post.
Are you thinking I'm threatening people that are copying stuff, or do
you actually realize I'm telling the people that are pushing the
copyright issue that they need to cool it and you are just adding support?

> How is archiving old documents (aka Rainbow, Hot Coco, etc) any
> different from the Computer History Museum archiving old computers,
> documents, and software for preservation?
<snip>

For what it's worth, the museum archives the *original* equipment,
magazines and software.  They aren't copying and distributing
copyrighted material.

Scanning these magazines and placing them online IS a violation of US
Copyright.  No rights have been transferred, no permission granted,
the copyright is still in effect, and distribution by putting it
available for download means it isn't just for personal use.  However,
it's up to the owner of the copyright to enforce through legal action,
and not for this group to enforce through badgering.

Some info can be found here:
http://onlinebooks.library.upenn.edu/okbooks.html