[Coco] Rainbow, and Hot Coco Scans

Manny manney.list at gmail.com
Thu Aug 14 19:08:46 EDT 2008

Michael Harwood wrote:
> I agree that the Coco community should be allowed to scan in and distribute
> the Rainbow, but I am bound by my conscience to adhere to the agreement I
> had with Lonnie of reporting any and all activities surrounding the scanning
> and distribution of the Rainbow magazines to him.  Lonnie¹s death did not
> nullify the agreement ­ it has a clause that states the agreement will pass
> to Lonnie¹s estate in the event of his death.  Once his estate is informed
> it¹s up to them to do something about it ­ I know Lonnie would have pursued
> litigation but do not know what the stance of his heirs are.  They may not
> care.  Also bear in mind that images of the entire Rainbow run has bee
> acquired and there is a person in the process of creating .djvu files for
> them ­ once this is completed they will be offered for sale as was stated at
> the beginning of the project.

> I wish you all good fortune in these endeavors, and am girding myself for
> the inevitable and unfortunate flames I expect will follow.

Hey all,

Just popping in to say that I would think it would be in this
community's best interest to not flame someone else who is trying to do
it a service.

That being said, whether you like it or not, Lonnie had some kind of
value attributed to this collection of 20 year old magazines. While it
may not have any monetary worth to anyone, it must have held some worth
to Lonnie -- whether it was indeed money or just plain hard work and sweat.

I don't think it wrong for a person to want to protect their work,
whether it's worth anything or not. It is their choice to free it to the
public domain (or something similar) if they so choose... It's also
their choice NOT to. I think it's the right thing to do to abide by
their wishes, even if we don't agree with them.

I know that if I could afford it, I would jump at the chance to hold the
entire collection of Rainbow Magazine in my hand. Quite a bit of
knowledge in there that could fill up some spare time. :)

Anyway, just my $ 0.02 as a lurker these days... Hope all of you are
well. :)

-M.