[Coco] Rainbow, and Hot Coco Scans

Chuck Youse cyouse at serialtechnologies.com
Thu Aug 14 19:52:06 EDT 2008

On Fri, 2008-08-15 at 00:08 +0100, Manny wrote:

> That being said, whether you like it or not, Lonnie had some kind of
> value attributed to this collection of 20 year old magazines. While it
> may not have any monetary worth to anyone, it must have held some worth
> to Lonnie -- whether it was indeed money or just plain hard work and sweat.
>
> I don't think it wrong for a person to want to protect their work,
> whether it's worth anything or not. It is their choice to free it to the
> public domain (or something similar) if they so choose... It's also
> their choice NOT to. I think it's the right thing to do to abide by
> their wishes, even if we don't agree with them.

That really isn't the purpose of copyright law.  Somehow it has become
commonly misconstrued as the right to protect an author's work (and/or
horde it), when really its purpose is to encourage competition through
exclusive marketing rights.  If you're not going to market it, then
copyright can not serve its intended purpose.  Read the Constitution.

As for respecting Lonnie's wishes - who cares?  He wasn't exactly the
nicest guy on the planet.

C.